Saturday, July 24, 2010

Midan, all you need, any time of the day or night

I have a few months ahead and many places to discover in Damascus and in Syria. The only problem is the heat, it is 45C degrees (120F) today and even though we have been told this is not normal for the month of July, it will be in August. The heat is dry, which is easier to deal with, but still it seems like I will only be doing cultural stuff at night this first couple of months (also keep in mind during the day I work!).

My colleague’s friends took us driving around a cactus farm the other day and I was impressed by their shapes, colors and size! I had no idea you can eat their fruit, which they call figs (but they don't look like our figs), and that same night I tried them in Midan. These figs are actually delicious, juicy and refreshing.





Midan is a long but narrow street full of crowded tiny restaurants that serve mainly shawarmas. They are delicious and we have a few, first chicken then meat. We are told if we come back here alone we should only eat in the same places where they have taken us, just to be safe and sure that hygiene is taken care of. 



As I said the street is packed, there are people everywhere, eating, chatting, laughing. Everything is open 24 hours a day and families with kids are also enjoying, even though it is late at night! Some approach us, they want to talk a little bit, they are curious about where we come from and they also want to practice their English and their French. One family with two beautiful little girls sits behind us and while they wait for their food they tell us they are both doctors and their daughters study in an English school. They used to go to the American one, but it was shut down by the US government a couple years ago. The girls are way to shy to talk with us.



But the street doesn’t only have restaurants; there are also a few meat shops and one of the owners wants me to buy some fresh cuts. He insists, but there is no way I am buying anything in his shop. The guy is nice and ends up wanting to take a picture with me but I am seriously concerned about cleanliness in his shop, and I leave promising I will be back, even though I know I never will. 



Finally, one of the best parts of the street are the many shops that sell delicious little sweets typical of Syria. Each shop wants you to try theirs, for free, to prove theirs are better. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth as many of you know so after the third shop I just give mine to Marc when the shop owners can’t see me. 


These shops are mostly old Damascene houses and the decoration in the inside is beautiful and breathtaking. Also the display of the sweets itself is well taken care of and I just feel like buying boxes for my family. 

 

* Pictures by la elfa

  

No comments: