Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Small World

How many times have we heard it, the world is a tiny place! And I guess the more you travel the smaller it becomes. I have been in Damascus for a few days now and I am invited to watch a World Cup game with my colleague and his friends. When we get to the bar the two guys waiting for us look quite familiar, but I fear I am mistaking them with some other Arabs and I don’t say anything. Then one of them asks me if I have ever been to Damascus, he thinks he knows me. I tell myself this is too much of a coincidence, he looks familiar to me, and I do to him. So we start talking and 30 seconds later we know what is going on here….. he used to work in Abu Dhabi in 2008, I visited Damascus in 2008 coming from Abu Dhabi…. Well he was the one who processed and prepared my visa back then! I was not allowed to get a visa in Abu Dhabi because I was not a resident, but some well connected friends made a couple phone calls and bang this guy was asked by his boss to process my visa quickly and without asking questions. His signature and stamp are indeed in my passport!! Seriously, what are the chances of something like this happening?
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! You are memorable so I'm not surprised he would not forget you, but to meet him again in such different circumstances, just crazy. If you read it in a novel, you would say - unlikely story line. Love that you are having a good experience. Your perspective on the city is so interesting! Safe travels. Patty M.

la elfa said...

I know, sometimes i feel like my life is full of small but amazing coincidences. My mum even keeps a diary with all the coincidences that happen in the family, and she always says the same as you: if you were to read it in a book you would never believe it!